This chipotle mayo recipe, also known as the best chipotle mayo sauce (in my house, at least) is simple, easy to make, but packs a considerable flavor punch. Made with only 5 ingredients, this homemade chipotle mayo sauce recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes!Jump to Recipe
I absolutely love a good chipotle mayo dipping sauce, so when looking to create that perfect fish taco mayo sauce I knew I needed a sauce that had a good consistency for dipping, spreading, and drizzling.
The super easy chipotle mayo recipe I’m sharing today is that perfect mayo chipotle sauce. It’s perfect for dipping your sweet potato fries, drizzling over fish tacos, and spreading on your favorite sandwich! You won’t have to wonder how to make chipotle mayo anymore because I’ve got you covered!
Make This Chipotle Sauce Recipe Vegan
To make a vegan chipotle mayo sauce, all you need to do is replace the regular mayonnaise in the recipe with vegan mayo. All the other ingredients are naturally vegan!
If your store carries vegan mayo, it should be located along with all the other mayos. But you can always save yourself the struggle of looking for all these ingredients by letting someone else do the shopping for you.
If you can’t find vegan mayo in your grocery store, you can always find it online here.
Tips to Know Ahead of Time
- Chipotle peppers are SPICY. I only ever use one or two deseeded chipotle peppers at a time due to the amount of heat they pack in. If you’re unfamiliar with chipotle peppers, start with one and taste your sauce before deciding to add more.
- This recipe works in a blender or food processor (at higher quantities). Don’t be afraid to give it all a good mix with a wooden spoon to ensure the mayo fully incorporates with the other ingredients.
- This recipe calls for kosher salt to taste. Kosher salt is different than table salt and sea salt, and I find it gives you more control over the final flavor. You can find kosher salt here. If you’re uncomfortable salting to taste, pour ¼ teaspoon salt in your hand and sprinkle a little bit of salt in at a time until you get the flavor that you like.
- It’s easier to make a big batch of chipotle mayo sauce. I like to store it in an easily accessible container in the fridge so I can drizzle liberally over beer battered fish tacos and coleslaw.
Chipotle Sauce Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup mayo (or vegan mayo)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Deseed one chipotle pepper.
- Add garlic cloves, chipotle pepper, lime juice and mayo to a blender or food processor, blending until smooth.
- Add salt to taste (about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon)